There are several anti-virus software packages available. For virus removal, RunSpot recommends these two software packages.
RunSpot does NOT provide computer repair services or virus removal services. This information has been provided so that friends/customers have information to repair their own computers.
Symptoms of an infected computer
- Unwanted pop-ups in browsers
- Unwanted start up page in browsers
- Windows/pop-ups that just randomly appear with advertisements
- Strange search engines are used instead of Google/Bing, resulting in bad search results
- Computer slow-downs
- Computer running out of available RAM when you have 8GB or more
- Windows updates no longer work
- You can't open the task manager
- Messages that tell you that you do not have the security rights to open programs or features of Windows
AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for:
- Adware (ads softwares)
- PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program)
- Hijacker (Hijack of the browser's homepage)
Download AdwCleaner using this link: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free removal tool for:
- Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware: Detects and eliminates malware your antivirus will miss.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit: Removes rootkits and repairs the files they damage.
- Advanced Malware Removal: Employs industry-leading technology to completely remove malware code.
- Antivirus Compatibility: Works with well with other Antivirus software.
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware using this link: https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/
Both of these software packages are free. However, there are several advantages to getting the premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
Use BOTH of these software packages. When I fix a computer that is infected, I use one software package and then the other until both AdwCleaner and Anti-Malware report that all of the viruses have been removed. This may take several rounds which can take several hours. The longest repair that I did took about 32 hours. You can start the software and let it run without watching it.
Both of these software packages were originally recommended to RunSpot by Frankie Fink.